If you have the time, a road trip in Bavaria would be my suggestion. Having experienced a part of it during my time there, I felt that it could have been better if we had more time. Not to mention having loads of money to do such a road trip, unless you are planning to sleep in the car.
This list is by no means definitive, you are still the master of your journey.
- Day 1 : Arrive in Munich, rent a car and drive to Würzburg, the start of the Romantic Road.
- Day 2 : Enjoy Würzburg.
- Day 3 : Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
- Day 4 : Augsburg, Landsberg am Lech, Steingaden (Wieskirche) and Füssen.
- Day 5 : Schloss Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof. Oberammergau.
- Day 6 : Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Innsbruck.
- Day 7 : Innsbruck.
- Day 8 : Drive from Innsbruck to Salzburg.
- Day 9 : Salzburg and maybe visit the various tributes to the Sound of Music.
- Day 10 : Drive back to Munich with a stop at Herrenchiemsee.
As you can see, there’s quite a lot of journey to be taken which also includes accommodation. Maybe this is the dream trip of a lifetime or maybe someone could come up with a cheaper, ‘lite’ version of the trip.